The word from the bird.

The Best Food Waste Apps

3rd December 213 mins
By Toucan

The best apps to reduce your food waste

Did you know that across the globe, one-third of food goes to waste? Yes, really! Food waste is a real and critical issue that we all need to be more conscious about.

In the most recent report published by charity Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP), it is estimated that the UK produced around 9.5 million tonnes of food waste. About 70% of this total was food intended to be consumed by people, with the remaining 30% classified as inedible.   

A staggering 6.6 million tonnes of this food waste comes from UK homes, and with 4.5 million tonnes of that food being edible, it works out approximately to around eight meals per household each week.  

Over recent years, there have been many developments into how you can reduce your food waste. It also looks like these initiatives have been working, with the UK’s total food waste decreasing by 15% between 2007 and 2018. 

From rescuing restaurant meals to tackling household waste, there are now more options for you to do your bit for the planet - all with just a quick download and a few taps on your phone. 

Each of the apps below operate in slightly different ways and may only be available in specific locations. Here are just a few that you should keep your eye out for: 

Too Good To Go 

Free to download on iOS & Android

Too Good To Go was founded in 2016 in Copenhagen, and has since expanded to 14 more countries and boasts 28 million users worldwide. The app connects consumers to restaurants, cafes, and bakeries with surplus food that would otherwise get thrown away. This excess food comes as a surprise goody bag that you pick up within an allocated timeframe. 

Since its inception, 96.9 million meals have been saved all over the world with the app, and it appears that there is no stopping them just yet.

NoWaste

Free to download on iOS & Android

NoWaste tackles the excess that starts in the home, helping you manage and reduce this waste. The food inventory app allows you to keep track of your purchases, expiry dates, and what items you have in the house, showing you what needs using up first, reducing unnecessary purchases. 

Besides tracking your waste, the app also allows you to add your progress to the community stats, making you part of the wider fight against food waste. 

Nosh

Free to download on iOS & Android

Another app that focuses on your household waste is Nosh. Developed during the COVID-19 pandemic, the team behind the app saw changes in buying habits and shopping routines. Nosh users can check expiry dates of products, plan their weekly shop, and even get recipe suggestions on items in their homes so that nothing ends up in the bin. The app aims to help you make smarter purchases and reduce your wasting habits. 

Karma 

Free to download on iOS & Android 

Like Too Good To Go, Karma allows you to save food from restaurants, cafes, and bakeries. Rather than a mixed bag of leftovers, food on Karma is sold as individual discounted meals, meaning you know exactly what you are getting. You can follow your favourite eateries on the app and receive notifications when food becomes available. It is constantly expanding but is currently only available in London and Brighton. 

Olio

Free to download on iOS & Android, with an optimal subscription of £4.99 per month

Available in the UK and 31 other countries, Olio allows you to connect with neighbours and local businesses to share surplus food and other non-food household items. If you have surplus food that you cannot bear to throw away, then you can simply list it on the app, and someone in your area will pick it up. The creators at Olio believe that these small actions can lead to change, building a more sustainable future. 

If you are looking to reduce your food waste, then these apps can offer an easy way to take the first step. Whether you focus on your household waste, or helping the hospitality sector reduce theirs, you can play your part in tackling this wider issue.

Related Articles

Download the app and get started.